Saturday, February 24, 2007

Obedience Unto Death

Obedience Unto Death

Journey to the Cross and Beyond Series
24" x 30"
Acrylic on canvas
$720.00

Inspired by Philippians 2:8
He humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross!



Obedience has never been one of my strong characteristics. I have always struggled with the word and its true meaning, especially when applying it to my life. Human nature rears its ugly head early in life when one of the first words a child learns to speak is, “No”. I was no different.

In my teenage years, obedience was not a word I used often in my vocabulary. I wanted to do what my parents said, but I wanted to do other things more. I had a strong Christian upbringing, but I did not comprehend the true meaning of obedience. I would pick and chose the rules I wanted to follow.

Recently, a lesson by our minister motivated me to do some in-depth thinking about obedience. The true meaning of obedience and its relationship to Our Heavenly Father and his Son was something I wanted to study and explore. This painting is inspired by my study and the emotions I felt.

It was a very emotional journey. Working on the painting drained all my creativity and I could not paint for several days after I had finished it.

Christ’s faithful love for his father and his obedience unto death is an example for all of us to follow in our Journey to the Cross and Beyond.

No comments: